What is a University-Model School®?
Covenant Christian Academy is modeled after a successful University-Model School, Grace Preparatory Academy, in Arlington, Texas. University-Model Schooling (UMS) is an educational alternative which combines a university type of schedule and learning techniques with parental involvement.
University-Model Schooling (UMS) is an educational alternative which combines a university type of schedule and learning techniques with parental involvement. University-model education takes the best aspects of traditional public and private schools, as well as home schools, and molds them into one model. UMS uses a university-style schedule adapted to the elementary, junior, and senior high levels. Professional teachers teaching in their areas of expertise conduct central classroom instruction. Elementary students attend classes on Monday and Wednesday while middle and high school students attend classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Students spend alternative days at home where parents continue their instruction or monitor student progress. Teachers provide parents with detailed instructions for days spent at home. Low student/teacher ratios provide for greater instructional effectiveness and thus better use of limited classroom time. The recommended maximum student/teacher ratio limits for a UMS are set at 16:1 for elementary; 18:1 for secondary classes.
Though off-campus parental roles are clearly defined and required in the model, UMS should not be equated with homeschooling or homeschooling cooperatives. Nor should UMS be understood as traditional classroom education that has simply reduced classroom time (i.e. a Monday, Wednesday, Friday classroom agenda). Its significance lies in its ability to effectively partner parents with highly qualified teachers to gain better academic results, especially among average and above average students. This partnership is facilitated by using a university-type schedule and administrative system, while requiring a strong work ethic. The UMS model has proved to be one of the best preparations for students planning on attending college.
University-Model Schooling is for you if you…
- Believe you are your child’s first and most important teacher.
- Believe that, as the parent, you are in charge of your child’s education.
- Want to spend more time with your children.
- Believe that parents are to travel the journey called education with their children and you consider it a joy and a privilege to do so.
- Have a need and desire to partner with gifted and professional teachers in a character-based academic environment, “appealing to student’s hearts as well as their minds.”
- Desire to intentionally position yourself towards your child and his/her educational needs, prioritizing their academic development while shepherding their hearts.
University-Model Schooling is not for you if you…
- Believe the professional educator is in charge of your child’s education.
- Don’t desire to be an active parent mentor to your child.
- “Equate sending kids to school with giving them an education.”
- Don’t want to spend more time with your children or your family situation does not allow a parent or acting parent to be available to your child while studying at home.
- Believe that once a child is attending school they need you less.